After trying a bunch of versions of spaghetti mentaiko, I decided to try making my own! Â My cooking skills were put to the test. Â I’m glad to say that I created something that actually tasted really good. In fact, I am bold enough to say that it is better than or at least comparable to the spaghetti mentaiko I have had in the city.
So what is the secret? Being that it is a pretty simple dish, it is about finding the perfect combination of your ingredients.
Serves 2 people
1/2 box of spaghetti
2 sacks of spicy cod roe (mentaiko)
1 Tablespoon of butter
1-1/2 Tablespoons of Japanese mayonnaise
1/4 sheet of Nori (dried seaweed), cut into thin strips
1. Start boiling water for your spaghetti in a pot, add salt to the water
2. In a bowl, cut the casings of each mentaiko and gently scrape / squeeze out the spicy roe
3. Add the mayonnaise to the spicy roe, mix thoroughly until mixture is a pale orange
4. Once the water is boiled, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente
5. Drain the pasta and toss with the butter until nicely coated
6. Incorporate the spicy roe mixture with the pasta
7. Top with strips of nori right before serving
Happy cooking! Let me know if you use this and enjoy the recipe!